Ascension Bay Fly Fishing Trips
2018 Ascension Bay Fly Fishing Trips
*listed dates include travel days
- January 27th - February 3rd, 2018 - Hosted by Steve Joyce - FULL
- February 3rd - 10th, 2018 - Hosted by Craig Chittenden
- February 17th - 24th, 2018 - Hosted by Mike Milligan
- February 24th - March 3rd, 2018 - Hosted by James St. Claire
- March 3rd - March 10th, 2018 - Hosted by Shan Sedgwick
- March 10th - March 17th, 2018 - Hosted by Eric Dalzell
Ascension Bay is one of the best locations for Permit fishing in the world, but you will see an abundance of Bonefish combined with opportunities at Tarpon, Snook, and Barracuda every day. There are countless lagoons and channels amongst the Mangroves to find Tarpon and Snook.
Our primary quarry is Bonefish as they are aggressive and there are lots of them! The fish diversity is incredible. This unique composition make it one of the best places in the world for a legitimate shot at the "Grand Slam" which occurs when an angler lands a Bonefish, Permit, and Tarpon all on the same day. Add a Snook to the mix and you've got yourself a "Super Slam!"
This trip is an unbeatable value and the guide quality is spectacular. You will fish from very nice 23' Panga boats, and you will have 2 guides per 2 anglers. This means that while one guide is on the deck poling the boat along the flats looking for fish in the distance, the other guide will be on the casting deck working hand in hand with the anglers spotting fish nearby. It is the ONLY way to fish the flats, and fairly exclusive to this outfit. Wading is done with a 1:1 guide to client ratio.
The food is excellent, and the accommodations are very nice, very clean, and comfortable. We don't want to over sell this trip, but for about half the price of the famous resort rates, you are getting more service here. It offers a great value and is a great find, especially since it is personally hosted by one of our guide staff.
Cost and Trip Details
- $2995 per angler includes 7 nights lodging, 6 1/2 days of fishing, and food.
- We are not responsible for missed fishing or shuttles based on flight delays. Ground transportation from Cancun to the lodge is the responsibility of the angler if the original shuttle is missed due to missed/delayed flights. Our staff can/will help arrange airport transfers however.
- Red's Fly Shop encourages anglers to purchase Travel Insurance
- Trips include lodging, fishing, ground transportation/driver's tips in Mexico, dinner en route to the lodge, and food service upon arrival.
- Airfare not included (flights are to/from Cancun)
- Gratuity is $400 for the week, this includes guides, bartenders, housekeeping, and kitchen staff.
- Other small expenses include optional laundry service, our tradition of buying the guides dinner on the last night, cocktails, and small personal expenses
- Red's recommends purchasing trip insurance through TravelGuard and medical evacuation insurance through MedJet Assist
Payment and Deposit Policies
A 50% deposit is due within 10 days of the reservation. We accept checks, PayPal, and credit cards. Credit cards are subject to a 3% processing surcharge. Final payments are due 60 days from the departure date. For all trips scheduled less than 60 days out, full payment is required upon reservation. We recommend purchasing trip insurance and a medical evacuation policy for these trips.
For all Reds Fly Shop travel adventures, both deposits and final payments are non-refundable unless a client is replaced. i.e. you (or we) can find someone to take your spot. Both your deposit and final payment can be transferred to another client for the same trip. Red's Fly Shop reserves the right to apply a $100 processing fee for itinerary changes.
About the Lodge and Other Details
The lodge is structured to host 2 people per suite, and each suite has its own bathroom and shower. The kitchen and dining area is centrally located on the 2nd floor and has open air verandas on either side. There is a pool table and the roof is also a balcony that offers spectacular views in the evening.
There is public internet access in the village, and we have an emergency contact number that you could be reached at if need be. Cell phones do not work down there... just as well.
Travel Details and... the Daily Routine in Ascension Bay
Dates listed include your travel days and we will need to arrive in Cancun by about 4 pm on your first day. Typically, the entire group will book the same flight into Cancun and we will all travel together. After arriving in Cancun, we are picked up by a high quality van service that escorts our group directly to the lodge with a nice stop for dinner on the way. All drinking water is bottled and provided for the entire trip.
Each morning starts with a wonderful breakfast at 7 am that always includes fresh fruit and fresh squeezed juice. As soon as breakfast is over, the guides arrive and after a very short walk to the beach you are off and fishing! Lunch is served on the boat, and you will fish 8 hours each day.
In the evenings, there will be cocktail hour before a wonderful dinner that usually includes fresh fish from the local waters.