Wade Fishing 301 - The Final Step
Our Red's University of Fly Fishing class titled, "The Final Step" is a wade fishing adventure class designed for anglers that have taken our Fly Fishing 101 and 201 classes and are ready to hit the river. Our goal in this class is for students to put their own gear, flies, and skills to use on the river under the guidance of an an instructor. While this class operates under a similar format to a guided trip, the goals are slightly different and the instructors will teach a series of specific lessons while helping you catch fish.
The student to guide ratio maxes out at 3:1 and includes 4 hours on the stream, so it guaranteed that you'll get plenty of attention. Its a great value as a single angler, couple, or bring a kid or two along. You'll also have the option to fish one of the many small streams in Central Washington on public land, so you will also learn exactly where to park, walk, and access these streams for future trips without a guide. You will learn skills and a specific destination.
Where Will We Be Fishing?
If you have a particular stream in mind located in Yakima or Kittitas County please let us
know upon reservation. Because of the changing conditions and diversity of our staff, we often leave the destination up to the instructor. They want you to have the best possible experience and will choose the stream that is currently offering the best fishing and "fit" for your group.
June - October the small creeks and streams are open.
November - May this class is on the Yakima River.
Cost and Details:
- $300 for up to 3 anglers
- 4 hours on the water fishing combined with instruction
- Bring your own lunch and drinks
- Anglers will sometimes meet at Red's and caravan to the stream, or we may meet close to the particular stream on some days.
Class Topics Include:
- Line Mending and Presentation - advanced upon the 201 lessons.
- Upstream Dry Fly Presentations
- Downstream Dry Fly Presentations
- Dry Fly and Dropper Nymph Combo Strategies
- Streamer Fishing - strip, swing, dead drift. (on the mid-sized and larger streams)
- Indicator Nymphing - various techniques defined and demonstrated.
- Fly Selection - what you really need to know and MUST HAVE flies!
- Wading Safety
- Where, When, and How to fish the Yakima River Canyon and similar streams
- Hatches and Seasons on the Yakima River
- Approach Strategies, how to approach the water and pick your angles.
- Fish handling & Release
- Gear - see what the guides and advanced anglers really use.
- Ask Anything! - we will answer tough questions and demonstrate techniques you are curious about.
This Sounds FUN! What Should I Bring?
Please know that we have a friendly shop staff that can assist you in purchasing anything you need with a low pressure style that respects any budget. We sincerely want you to have a great experience and being well outfitted is a big part of your success.
- Fly rod and reel,
- Visor or hat
- Jacket (class is outside)
- Flies (order a Dirty Dozen in advance and the guide will deliver them for you).
- Waders and Boots, from mid June - August when its hot quick dry pants and wading boots are preferred.
- All of your fly fishing gear... you will go fishing!