Turbo Charge Your Single Hand Rod with This OPST SystemApril 20, 2017
*don't get lazy, read the actual blog if you really want to learn more about the OPST Single Hand Spey Line System and how you might improve your game!
For years I have been using the Wulff Ambush line system on my single hand rods and as far as a contiguous line system (running line and head attached) its a great system. I like the line and it fishes a streamer really well because its easier to strip and handle than mono running line.
I still use the Wulff System a fair amount and have a few reels dedicated to it, but I have really enjoyed using the OPST system as of late. The mono running line makes shooting flies and sink tips much easier. I enjoy casting with less effort and the slick finish on mono is much more efficient than traditional vinyl running line.
Pro's and Con's Vs. These Two Single Hand Spey Options:
- The Wulff is more comfortable for anglers that are totally unfamiliar with mono running line systems.
- The OPST system shoots with a bit less effort, mono running line is really effortless to shoot.
- The OPST system is better for large streamers and heavier sink tips.
- The Wulff is better if the angler hopes to do some nymph fishing or even dry fly fishing.
- The Wulff is a slightly longer head making it a bit more stable in flight.
- The Wulff is better for traditional single hand overhead casting.
- The OPST is more popular with experienced casters familiar with Skagit Heads, for what that's worth!